Monday, May 12, 2014

Relentless Baker

Family vacations as a kid were always a lot of fun!  One of our family traditions involves this yummy French bakery in New Smyrna Beach, FL.  They sell delicious croissants and breakfast sandwiches.  Growing up, my dad would always wake up early during our family trips to sneak out and grab breakfast.  Sometimes, he would surprise me with my favorite treat-- meringue cookies! These crispy, airy, sweet delights became synonymous with summer to me.

I've tried-- at least a half dozen times-- to make them myself and have FAILED miserably.  Once or twice the house was too humid, once I didn't bake them long enough, another time I baked them too long... the list goes on. Despite all of these failed attempts, every time the weather changes from winter to spring I get the bug to make these treats.

Well friends, I am happy to say that TODAY is the day!  I finally made French bakery worthy treats!!


Recipe:

  • 2 egg whites
  •                 
  •                 
  •                 
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). To prevent burning you can bake on an air cushion baking sheet or put parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet
  2. Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla until very firm. Gradually add sugar and mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
  3. Drop by teaspoonfuls on pan. Bake 300 degrees for 25 minutes. They should only be lightly browned.

Tips:
* You can use an icing piping bag and a large icing tip to pipe your meringue onto the baking sheet to give it a more professional pastry look.
* To avoid a gooey center, keep your cookies in the over for a few hours or over night.  I recommend baking for around 5 minutes at 350 and then turn off the heat.  Do not open the door to the oven.
* Make sure that there is no butter, water or oil on your utensils.  One of my past failures was because I washed my mixing bowl and then put the eggs in the bowl while it was still damp.  Bad idea :(

What are some recipes that you've tried several times before you finally got it right?


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment