Monday, April 28, 2014

8 Reasons Why this Sorority Girl Uses Cloth Diapers

I have several friends who are pretty well-known "bloggers" who I recently asked if they would be willing to write a guest blog for me on a topic of my choosing.  I was excited when my friend Stasia agreed!  I consider her my "go-to" friend on all things cloth diapers.  She (and Lauren) really normalized cloth for me.  Without their good influence, I would have never considered going the cloth route.  Stasia has recently started a side business as a cloth consultant. She's super sweet and helpful... so if after reading this blog you have questions, feel free to message her!  She's great. I hope that you enjoy her post.  If you are interested in doing a guest post for me, please let me know!
-Sarah


Hey!  I am Stasia from Our Life on a Budget.  Sarah and I went to UGA together and are sorority sisters. Blogging has been a fun and easy way to keep connected.  She so graciously invited me over to her blog to tell a little about cloth diapering.  So without further ado...

 "8 Reasons Why this Sorority Girl Uses Cloth Diapers" 

So let's cut to the chase… I pretend to be crunchy, but I am not as crunchy as I would like to be.  We (yes, my husband is on board) have been cloth diapering our baby girl since a week after she came home from the hospital.  I am telling y'all cloth diapers are not hard and I'd even venture to say they are pretty easy :).  


1.  Cloth diapers are SOOOOO cute….  










Of course I would start with how stylish they are.  Pampers has been trying lately with the Sesame Street diapers, but they still don't even hold a candle to the prints on cloth diapers.  I mean just check out a few of my latest favorites.





The non-print diapers… awesome too! They can be used as bloomers, making your life easier with every diaper change .

You might have seen the trendy baby legs around lately… those are also especially cute with cloth, or as I like to call it fluff.

2.  Cloth diapers are as easy to use as disposables...

I tell people all the time.  These are not your grandma's cloth diapers; they function just like disposables. We {being those in the cloth diaper world} call these "dad-proof," "babysitter-friendly" diapers all-in-ones and pockets.  Those are the ones I recommend because they are easy. Directions: Put under your baby's bottom, pull top up, fasten via velco or snaps… that's it.  



3. Cloth diapering does not make your laundry that much harder

Do you have a baby?  Then you have more laundry to do, plain and simple.  Throw in another 3 loads a week, not that big of a deal.  Washing goes like this- throw them in the washing machine, give them a good rinse on cold, and then throw in your detergent of choice (I use Tide, see I am not that crunchy) do another cycle on hot. To make sure I get all the detergent out I sometimes do another rinse and spin.  So basically I have to hit 3 buttons to get them clean.  I like to line dry mine, but I also line dry most of clothes.
4.  Cloth diaper or disposable-  "Poop is still poop"...

But what about the poop? This is usually the first question I get.  Did you know that you are supposed to flush the waste even if you use disposables? 




Source 

Okay so nobody does that, but really the poop can be easier to deal with in cloth.  First of all if you are breast feeding it does not smell and you can wash the diapers as is because breast milk poo is water soluble (fun fact, right?). Once your baby starts eating solid food you have a couple of options:
*plop it into the toilet
*rinse it in the toilet
*or use these super convenient flushable liners


I generally go with option one or three… they are just a little easier!  And the good thing about flushing the waste, is the smell is gone.  No need for a diaper genie, no lingering smells, no "honey, please take the trash out  RIGHT now."  That is what makes me think that cloth is so much better than disposables here… less stink to deal with!

5.  Cloth diapers are accepted a daycares...

After the question about poop, the next comment I usually get is, "I work, cloth diapers aren't accepted at daycare." In most cases this statement isn't true!
Source
The website I listed above is awesome.  It tells which states allow cloth diapers and provides specific links to the regulations for each state!  So, in most cases you can cloth diaper in daycare!  My little wears them to her preschool and the teachers don't mind at all.



6.  Cloth diapers save you money...
Cloth diapers are an investment that will save you money in the long run. I have spent about $400-$450 total on a supply of cloth diapers and all the accessories that will last me from birth to potty training (I also buy quality brands new, you can cloth diaper for cheaper). When you have to shell out that money up front- it does hurt a bit. But when you calculate it out you are saving SOOOO much money- like thousands of dollars.  And if you cloth diaper with a second child, you will save even more by reusing the diapers again!

You can see here just how much you can save depending on the brand.

7.  There are no late night trips to CVS

You have everything you need, in your house, all the time, one less thing to worry about… and as a mom this is HUGE :).
8.  Cloth diapers really do help the environment...

Okay so my last point is completely crunchy, but it is also completely true.  I got into cloth diapers to save money and because they are cute, but this has had a great impact on me since I have started cloth diapering.  I really love that I am helping the environment!


Source- And that is just one year… just multiply those disposables by 2 or 3 and make them dirty...

If this girl can cloth diaper (and love it) you can too!  Interested and want to know more? Want me to help you get started?  Just have a question?  I would love to hear from you!


stasia08 [at] gmail [dot] com

or follow me

 
Blogger
Instagram

Pinterest

Facebook

Twitter










Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment