Monday, November 4, 2013

The Single Best Way to Re-use Sweet Potato Casserole

Thanksgiving and sweet potato casserole seems to go together like peanut butter and jelly, Jay Z and BeyoncĂ© or Georgia football tailgates and girls with pearls.  I prepare mine the way my grandmother and great-grandmother did--the best way-- with mini marshmallows on top.

My father-in-law came into town this weekend for a visit.  A little birdy told me that his favorite side dish is sweet potato casserole. Aiming to please, I whipped up some southern-style sweet potato casserole. Of course, with only three eating the casserole, I had a lot leftover.  We're not big on leftovers at our house and the thought of eating sweet potato casserole for the next week instantly made me gain 3 pregnancy pounds.

I looked online for recipes using leftover sweet potato casserole.  I wasn't in the mood for sweet potato bread or pancakes and sweet potato candy sounded a little too old-lady for me. I want to bring muffins to my co-workers this week and started looking at sweet potato muffin recipes. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that fit my palette. Everything was either too healthy for an office treat or WAY too buttery.

So... I took a risk.

I surveyed my kitchen cupboard and found a box of cake mix.  Score! No eggs--but I did have powdered egg whites. Score! Oh, and since I have been mildly obsessed with milk these days, I found that too.
 
Recipe for Sarah's Oooohmygoodness Muffins
(if I am going to invent a recipe, I at least get to name it something cool)
 
 
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together the following ingredients using a mixer at a low speed:

1.Two cups of sweet potato casserole. Feel free to include and much or as little of the topping as you want.
2. One box of cake mix.  I had on hand a box of Duff Zebra cake mix (white and chocolate) but I am sure that a box of Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate would taste great.
3. I did not have any eggs so I used one heaping teaspoon of powdered egg whites.  This is equal to the whites of one egg
4. One cup of milk

I definitely recommend tasting the sweet potato + cake mix mixture before you add in your other ingredients. Yum!
Your batter will be a thick consistency.  It's OK! Take your batter and fill your cupcake tins almost full with your mixture.


Bake your muffins at 350 degrees for approximately 17 minutes. They should have a nice rise on them.  If you are planning to serve the muffins right away, consider putting a small handful of mini marshmallows on top for added texture and for a unique finish.

 
 Trust me when I say this... these muffins have an incredible consistency.  They somehow taste both light and full at the same time.  The sweet potatoes do not overpower the muffin but really give the chocolate more of a delicate but powerful flavor.
 
Enjoy!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment