Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Mom Blogs are Dumb"

When I announced to a friend of mine that I was thinking of starting a blog, her response was to quickly convince me that everything I could possibly blog about was already taken by the millions of other bloggers out there and that coming up with new material may be difficult.  Sure, maybe there are plenty of "Why I love cloth diaper" blogs or "My baby is the cutest baby in the world" blogs but my goal for writing this isn't to be in the new mommy renegade. Our life is quickly changing and evolving and I thought that this blog could be a wonderful way for the people who love us to keep up with what we are doing in St. Louis.  To justify it further, I came up with "The 5 Reasons I Convinced Myself to Start a Blog" list:

1) I love to write. I’ve loved it since I was a child. I am definitely by NO MEANS the world's best writer.  You will likely find sentence fragments, misspelled words and just plain lazy English in my blog posts. However, each post is an exercise in creativity and will give me a chance to get my words out on paper (or the computer, as the case may be).

2) Umm... hellloooo!! I am about to have a baby!  I need a place to upload the gazillions of pictures that I plan on taking and a place to share all of our adventures. A blog seems to be a little more intimate than Facebook.

3) I think blogging will enable or inspire me to learn new things.  In posting what I am passionate about, I will be more inclined to read more about interesting topics or take risks in the kitchen or on home projects (for example: Homemade apple cider caramels sound delicious. Best case scenario, I can post some mouth watering pictures of my kitchen masterpiece   Worst case scenario, I fail miserably but can at least tell you what NOT to do in the kitchen.)

4) I love to make money doing things I love. Up until now I’ve barely dipped my tiny toe into the pool of being an online entrepreneur   I am excited to see if blogging will potentially help me expand my online Ebay store. I can assure you that I will take baby steps in expanding my online store's reach (you won't see any action until after January) but it will be fun to see if I can find more ways to get into the online upscale consignment clothing market.

5) There’s a chance the things I write could make a difference.  As Pace and I genuinely attempt to lead a life that follows the Gospel teachings, we constantly seek out the encouragement of other believers.  My hope is to be an encouragement to my friends and family as I passionately pursue being a Christian mom and wife. Yes, I am sure that there will be days where I fail MISERABLY (please don't hold it against me!) but my hope is that by sharing a glipse at our life and my thoughts I can encourage your faith and your family and that you can do the same for me!  I read this quote and think it applies to my thoughts on blogging:

We are writing each day a letter to men;
Take care that the writing is true;
It is the only gospel some men will read--
The gospel according to you.
{Unknown}

This refers to how our actions "speak" our gospel to others. But being interested in writing, I've always applied it to my actual writing--the Gospel according to me. And blogging is an opportunity to share that. And, hopefully, an opportunity to "stir up love and good works" {Hebrews 10:24} or perhaps an on-line attempt to "comfort each other and edify one another" {1 Thessalonians 5:11}. 

No comments:

Post a Comment