Sunday, December 15, 2013

How we chose our little girl's name

What's in a name?
 
Her name is "Elizabeth Lois Johnston".
 
This name is very special to us for many reasons. Elizabeth has always been a personal favorite... in fact, as a little girl, my parents let me "choose" my sister's middle name.  I confidently chose Elizabeth.  Elizabeth is also the name of John the Baptist's mother.  The Hebrew definition or meaning behind the name is "my God is abundance" or my God satisfies. Looking back on the five years of our marriage, we feel abundantly blessed and provided for.  As we think about the parents that we want to be--we desire nothing more than to instill in her the confidence that Christ alone satisfies.
 
Lois is an equally special name.   Lois is a variant of the name Louise.  Other than his parents, one of the people who shaped Pace the most as a young man was his late grandmother Louise "Wheezy" Dillard. My great-grandmother was Mary Louise Black.  She was one of the spunkiest women I've ever known. And of course, Pace's mother, Louise McMath Dillard has been beyond supportive and loving of Pace and me.  This name honors all three incredible women.
 
Lois is also the name of Timothy's mother in the Bible.  In 2 Timothy 1:5, Paul writes to Timothy, " I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also".  Again, our hope is that our daughter has a sincere faith in Christ.
 
As a silly aside, Elizabeth Lois will be born in St. LOUIS (Different pronounciation).
 
Lastly, I think the last name can be taken for granted, but it's important to point out that our sweet little girl will bear the last name of all of the many wonderful Johnston's who came before her.
 
There are many nicknames for Elizabeth (Liz, Betsy, Beth, Betty, etc).  We haven't decided if we will call her by her full name--Elizabeth-- or if we'll shorten it to Eliza/Liza.  For now, we are calling her Elizabeth ( and a whole host of silly nicknames!).

No comments:

Post a Comment